Thursday, June 3, 2010

Just One More Test...

Let me start out this post by saying that sometimes in hindsight you see that events that disappointed you turn out to be a blessing in disguise....

Tomorrow I planned to take the day off of work to go to Mt. Olympus in Wisconsin Dells with Josh's class.  They have been predicting rain for Friday all week.  This morning his teachers made the decision to postpone the field trip to Monday.  Josh and I were very disappointed because I have patients on Monday and I now wouldn't be able to go.  But, as it turns out we were having staffing shortages for Monday afternoon and it actually worked out better for me to change patients from Monday to tomorrow and then I could once again go along for the trip!  This seemed like a great thing...but then it got better. 

As I said in the last post, Elise is planning to present our case to the transplant team tomorrow.  Today at 4:15 she called and said that the nephrologist was still a little concerned about the slightly abnormal urine test I had and he would like me to have a cystoscopy done at Marshfield.  She said the team could still approve our case, but it would be pending the results of the cystoscopy.  After I talked with her I went up front to my nurse's station.  At that point one of our incredibly wonderful appointment coordinators, Laura, came by on her way home.  I told her what I needed to have done and she offered to call Marshfield to arrange it for me.  After a little bit of begging on her/my part we were able to schedule the testing for 10 a.m. tomorrow.  Due to the fact that I had just signed back in to work tomorrow I had a light schedule and am able to go.  The urologist will give me the results immediately and they will be able to fax that to Froedtert in time for the transplant team meeting at 1 p.m.  Elise was thrilled when I called her back since she will now have a complete case to present.  SO...assuming all is okay with those results we should have an answer tomorrow as planned. So the field trip being cancelled was a blessing in disguise...now I can get my testing done in time for the team meeting AND I still get to go on the field trip!

On a side note, Elise told me that there is a situation in New York right now where the kidney donor was not fully evaluated.  It turned out the donor had cancer and now the recipient has cancer.  In Elise's words, "people are getting sued all over the place!"  So they are being extra cautious at Froedtert right now.  And who can blame them??

No comments:

Post a Comment