Monday, June 21, 2010

Another Bump in the Road

I really struggled with whether or not to write this posting.  I was hoping we would simply get this problem resolved and I could skip this part of the story and nobody would be the wiser.  But tonight I knew I had to write it.

Wednesday afternoon Ginger called me.  I could tell right away that something was wrong by the tone in her voice.  She said that Lonnie had a CT scan done that day and they found a mass on his left kidney.  They said it could be a fatty tumor, but it could also be cancer.  She was told the transplant would have to be cancelled.  I was simply in shock.  How could we come this far only to have it all fall apart?  Was that even possible?  After several minutes of frantic conversation and a little silence between us we hung up and promised to call each other on Thursday when we each hoped we would know more.  Thursday morning I called Elise right away at Froedtert.  She had heard what was going on and reassured me that they would not cancel the transplant, but simply put it on hold until they had the results of any testing that would be done.  The date of both the pre-op(June 29th) and the surgery(July 13th) would stay the same as of now.  I felt better talking with her, as she is a rock and a voice of reason.  I spoke to Ginger that morning, but she had not heard any more.  Friday I talked with Ginger again and the news sounded a bit more positive.  She was now told that the transplant was not cancelled(but put on hold) and that if they found a tumor that was enclosed in a sac, they could remove the kidney and still do the transplant. 

Wednesday Lonnie is scheduled to see Dr. Unwala -- ironically, you have already met Dr. Unwala in this blog -- he is the "HAPPY BANANAS" doctor that I saw when they were ruling out any bladder problems with me!  He is a great doctor and so very thorough.  I feel better knowing Lonnie is in his hands. 

So, the reason I was not sure if I should post this is because I feel like I walk a very fine line between telling my story and invading Lonnie's privacy.  But tonight as I was getting ready for bed, at midnight -- late as usual, I just knew in my heart that I needed to write.  If there was ever a time for prayer, it is NOW!  Please pray for Lonnie.  I am simply positive that this transplant WILL take place.  God has reassured me of that.  But Lonnie can sure use your prayers.  And Ginger too.  They need peace and reassurance more than anything.  And of course we all need good news!  This journey has been about faith from day one.  And I sure do have it -- but it has been tested over and over and your prayers will keep it intact.

I will keep you posted.  In the meantime, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for Lonnie Jill and also in two days for the Marshfield Board to install the new donor policy. Our prayers are with you also my friend!