Saturday, July 24, 2010

15 Minutes of Fame

This week I got to enjoy my lifetime-allotted 15 minutes of fame.  Sarah and Zeke and Lonnie and I had our stories featured in the Marshfield News-Herald and the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune.  Both papers had different pictures, but unfortunately the Daily Tribune picture did not show up online -- and that was the better picture of us because the Marshfield paper does not really show Sarah's face.  We did, however, make the front page of both papers.  Not sure if they were hard up for news or if we are really that important :-)  Also this next week our Clinic plans to feature our stories in our weekly internal newspaper, the Pulse.

I joke about the fame, but in reality I am so happy that the stories are getting out there so that we can spread the word about organ donation.  As of the minute that I am writing this, 85,562 people are waiting for a kidney in the United States.  The average waiting time for a kidney is anywhere from 3 to 5 years.  Donors are needed -- both living and deceased.  Now I completely understand that living donation doesn't fit into everyone's idea of a perfect way to spend a month off of work!  But if you haven't done so, please even consider signing your driver's license to be a donor after you are gone.  I have heard people tell me they don't think they are healthy enough to be a donor.  You might be surprised as to what they can do with organ and tissue donation!  And if you want more information on living donation, please feel free to let me know.  I don't have all the answers, but I can help you find them.  I can't stress to you enough that I am an ordinary person who happens to be blessed with great health. 

Still in the waiting period with UW.  We are hoping this next week will bring some answers...

Here are the links to the newspaper stories..and also a link to a website you might find interesting or helpful:

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/article/20100724/WRT0101/7240621/Kidney-donation-makes-Marshfield-Clinic-employees-friends

http://www.marshfieldnewsherald.com/article/20100723/MNH0101/7230411/-1/archive

http://www.unos.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment