Monday, June 13, 2011

Surgery Scheduled!!

Sara and I were both anxiously awaiting news from UW today.  She left a message for Kathy a little bit before 1:00, but when we hadn't heard anything by 4:15 I called Kathy myself.  UW had just been waiting on my viral studies to come back(HIV, Hep B, etc) before we could move forward. Kathy checked her computer and indeed the results were in -- all normal as I expected!  She then told me that she had checked possible surgery dates earlier today.  She knew we were looking at the week of July 18th.  UW only does planned transplants on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  There was only one time slot left on July 21st, so she snagged that date for us!  I couldn't believe it --just three and a half weeks from even finding out about Sara from my friend Laura and here we were getting a date for transplant!  After everything Lonnie and I went through this seemed way too easy!  Kathy said that Sara will still need to come down soon to have a final pre-op done.  We are just going to plan on all being fine at that visit!  Kathy said that I should plan on being to UW at 7:30 a.m. on July 20th for my pre-op work.  They will put us up in a hotel that night so we are close by for surgery the next day.  She said I should plan on being in the hospital 3-4 days, depending on what time I get out of surgery on the 21st.  I didn't really care about any of that right now -- I only cared that we had a plan!  The transplant committee will also need to give us their final approval at their next meeting on July 7th, but Kathy assured me that this should just be a formality.  After I got off the phone with Kathy I had the exciting privilege of being the one to call Sara!  Just like the day I called her to tell her we were a match, we both were thrilled!

One of my first calls tonight was to Lonnie and Ginger.  They have been such a huge part of my life that I wanted them to be among the first to know.  Ginger said they are thrilled for Sara and I and that they still love me :-)  As happy as I am that he is doing well and as much as I knew I would have their support, I just needed to hear it from them.  Lonnie's visit on Wednesday to UW went very well.  There is no trace of the BK virus that he had earlier in his blood.  They again increased his anti-rejection meds and we will pray that the virus stays away.

As I sit and think about this past year tonight I am overwhelmed with emotions.  I have often said that this has been the most faith-filled journey of my entire life.  What started as a simple "voice" in my head saying, "tell him you will give him one of yours" has turned into a road of excitement, disappointment, thrills, heartbreak, friendship, love, and unwavering faith.  I have had many people tell me that this is an amazing thing that I am doing.  I only wish those people could walk in my shoes down this path.  What I have given so far has come back to me ten-fold.  I am so blessed to have family, friends, co-workers, and an amazing husband who have supported me through it all.  I am so blessed to be able to offer this gift of life.  I am so blessed to have Lonnie.  I am so blessed to have Sara.

No comments:

Post a Comment