Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Three Years and Spreading the Word!

It was three years yesterday.  I simply cannot believe it.  Time is marching on.  For some reason as I was reflecting on what the last five years have brought -- from the beginning of my journey until now -- I became emotional thinking of what all has come to be.  Lonnie has a kidney, Sara has a kidney, I have a kidney... :)  Life is GOOD!

So now transplant stories surround me.  It seems like at least a few times per week someone sends me a story, tags me in a story on Facebook, I receive a story via Google alerts, I read a story on Twitter, or I happen to see one in the news.  I read/watch every single one that I come across and I thank God every time for the miracle of organ, tissue, and bone marrow transplant.  I am always still in awe of the circumstances that surround every story.  There is no doubt in my mind that God is orchestrating them all.  There is the story of Cindy, a co-worker from the main center of the clinic where I work.  Cindy had recently felt the urge to consider kidney donation.  She happened to talk to Sarah, a colleague of mine who I mentioned four years ago in my blog that donated a kidney to her friend's father.  Sarah told Cindy that I had recently posted a random story about a guy named Mike in Michigan who needed a kidney.  Sarah contacted me to pass on Mike's information to Cindy.  She was tested and although we thought maybe this is where Cindy's story would lead, she was not a match to Mike.  But it gave Mike some hope that there are people out there who are willing to donate to him.  And it gave Cindy the urge to press on.  She knows that God has a plan for her -- now she just waits on Him!  And today was a special day for a friend named Jeannette who I met through a Living Donors Facebook group.  Jeannette and her brother went into surgery today so she could donate a kidney to him.  The last I heard all was going well!

I am now at a point where I am ready to "take this show on the road", so to speak.  It has been my desire to start some sort of organ donation foundation or public awareness group.  I do have some leads that I am looking into at this point.  The need for donors just continues to grow.  It's heartbreaking really to see the data, but even more so to see the actual people who are waiting for a life-saving donation.  So stay tuned!  More to come!!

Sara's most recent check-up at UW was great!  She continues to be healthy and happy.  I no longer see the doctors at UW as I was dismissed from their care at the two year mark.  Next week I will see my regular primary care physician and have my "kidney numbers" done.  I expect all good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment